I am an established editor who mainly works on written documents for UN and government agencies, from reports and strategies to white papers and annual reports.
I honed my craft as a policy officer in health and human rights, and as a published author of books of poetry and short fiction.
My work as an editor is to make your words persuasive, clear and error-free. Documents might require structural editing (looking at the structure of the report; interrogating the arguments and logic), copyediting (generally improving the language and correcting errors) or proofreading (reviewing the designed version of an edited report or a report that has already been edited).
There are many situations requiring good editing:
- After working so intensely on your document, you need a second pair of eyes to catch mistakes you just can’t see anymore.
- You’re a great communicator, but not a great writer.
- Multiple people have worked on the document and it needs consistency of voice.
- The primary authors have English as a second language, or write in a form of English (say, American) that is not your target audience (say, Australian).
These are only a few reasons why you might like me to make your words better. Among the services I provide are:
- Rewriting and editing to emphasize key arguments and selling points
- Ensuring that the document’s structure and order are logical and make the strongest arguments
- Rewriting with an emphasis on clarity, persuasion and the elimination of unnecessary repetition and wordiness
- Translating jargon or technical language to plain English
- Ensuring consistency of tone, language and Australian spelling
- Correcting punctuation, formatting and grammar; correcting diagrams and references; proofreading, spell checking and fact checking.
I worked to tight timeframes, in some cases, working over the weekend or 12-hour days.
My current and past clients include:
The Global Education Monitoring Report (GEM Report) at UNESCO, UNESCO, UN Women, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the City of Sydney, Ernst & Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers, WWF-Australia, NTT ICT, IDG, the Australian Human Rights Commission, NSW Justice, NSW Health, Male Champions of Change, Elizabeth Broderick & Co, City West Housing and Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini (Italy).
Drop me a line if you’d like to discuss working together.